birding-aus

Land of Parrots - raptors

To: Tim Dolby <>, Wendy <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Land of Parrots - raptors
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 21:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
Yeah, I admit that there was a bit of rhetoric in my question as I thought it
was a Hobby.
But like Tim said, there were several other raptors shown before the prey-catch
(incl. Spotted Harrier).

The reason I put the question out there is cos not long before the Hobby got
the bird I'm sure there was footage of a Black Falcon in flight. Did anybody
else see that?

We're a funny lot...'twitching' raptors on a Parrot doco. It was a great
exercise in raptor ID though and we've already had 4 differing ID's in under an
hour...

Re: the Kite calls, Black Kites can sound almost identical to a Whistling
Kite...just lacking the fast, descending whistle that Whistlers have. But I did
think the call was from a Whistling Kite and it's not out of the question that
the camera was on a Black and there were Whistlers around and that's what we
heard.

Mick