birding-aus

Sabine's Gull, Scarborough (Redcliffe, QLD)

To: "'Andrew Stafford'" <>, <>
Subject: Sabine's Gull, Scarborough (Redcliffe, QLD)
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:15:33 +1030
Thanks Andrew, great stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Andrew Stafford
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 5:45 PM

Hi all,

Made it out to the Redcliffe area this afternoon - work commitments
prevented me going earlier - to look for the Sabine's Gull. No Tony, it
is not a furphy, the observer concerned has seen hundreds of them and
it's in full breeding nick. If you've seen a Sabine's before you'll know
they're unmistakeable even in non-breeding plumage.

Unfortunately, I was unable to verify it myself, despite checking every
group of gulls I could find between Scarborough Boat Harbour and
Clontarf. Basically it could be anywhere in Moreton Bay or beyond and
I'll have another look tomorrow morning including at Southbank in South
Brisbane, where a Franklin's Gull turned up in the late 1990s. Obviously
the more eyes out, the better.

It's worth pointing out that the rocky spit to the right of the boat
harbour at Scarborough had probably a couple of hundred Silver Gulls
roosting this afternoon along with Crested, Caspian, Common and Little
Terns. It was the first place I looked and certainly it wasn't a bad
place to start. Bob Inglis I hope has his eagle eyes out in the area so
hopefully it'll show up.

Andrew Stafford