birding-aus

Sabine's Gull, Scarborough (Redcliffe, QLD)

Subject: Sabine's Gull, Scarborough (Redcliffe, QLD)
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:50:04 +1000
Hi

I have to say 'thanks' to Robert Morris for his description of the
Sabine's Gull in Redcliffe. Why? Becasue I think this email is a great
example of a descriptive report - something I think that is almost going
out of fashion as we all grab for our cameras and rely on technology to
prove a sighting. Couldn't you just see the bird flying by in your mind?
The plumage descriptors and especially the jizz, comparisons with Silver
Gulls etc were just perfect! In the 'old' days we all had to write
reports and hence our observing skills were of a high degree - my worry
now is that this will be lost as technology provides an easy
alternative. Photos are great, but the reliance on them to identify
unusual species is a concern.
The recent discussion emails around the Cooktown Gull were of a similar
quality and absolutely necessary as photos just were not enough. I would
like to encourage all birders to be observant, make notes, leave the
field guide at home and only reach for the camera as a final resort.
It's bird watching and bird observing - let's all make sure the skill
stays alive.

Opening-a-can-of-worms?
Colin.

--