birding-aus

Optics prices

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Optics prices
From: Andrew Hobbs <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:29:59 +0900
According to the Australian Customs website one needs to pay a 5% duty on the cost/value of any imported items over $1000. One then adds the cost of transport/insurance and then adds 10% GST. The total is around 15% of the total cost (Sorry, I didn't mean to imply a 15% duty). Some people understate the cost/value of the imported items but most reputable dealers overseas won't and there are significant penalties if caught doing so. On top of that are any collection fees or processing fees from Customs or from transport companies. Australia Post don't usually charge such collection fees, but some overseas companies will only send by private transport companies such as FedEx. Some years ago I was interested in importing a scope with a cost over the limit, and was told by the representative of the transport company that there was a minimum $150 customs paperwork/collection fee. (All of these add to any costs for a commercial importer of course).

And when comparing overseas costs versus local costs I wouldn't be too quick to discount the Woolies syndrome (or volume purchasing). Our local supermarket chain often complains that they can't buy their goods wholesale as cheaply as Woolworths sell them retail (and supplied from the same wholesalers.)

Andrew

STEVEN MCBRIDE wrote:
Andrew,
FYI, from personal experience, there is no import duty on optics(bins &
scopes). There is 10% GST charged on imported items over $1000 plus
Customs will charge a collection fee of ~$48.

Steve