birding-aus

RFI Barbary Dove

To: "Nikolas Haass" <>
Subject: RFI Barbary Dove
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:53:46 +1000
Hi Nikolas,

I'm not bothered by your comments, just curious.  So, following on from what
you are saying, where does that put Feral Pigeon and Barbary Dove on a tick
list?  Non-existant?  How do you suggest people handle them?  Dingo is
certainly a very interesting analogy, being Canis lupus dingo means you
could technically call them an Australian Wolf.  I'd be interested in how
mammal listers deal with that?

I'd also like to echo the comment about recording feral species (even ones
that don't qualify for a tick list) in your surveys.  There's currently wild
Peach-faced Lovebirds in Clare, SA that don't qualify, but if they went
unreported they could become a feral population and displace Purple-crowned
and Little Lorikeets in nesting hollows. ANY free flying bird that you
record on a survey should be reported - let the people at the other end sort
out which ones to use scientifically.  If you believe it's a recent escapee,
say so in your notes.

Regards,
Chris