birding-aus

RFI Barbary Dove

To: "Tania Ireton" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: RFI Barbary Dove
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:55:53 +1100
Tania, Mike Norris tells me there are a small number towards the western end of Marriage Road in East Brighton, a Bayside Melbourne suburb near you. They were first recorded in Bayside in 1996 then again in 1998, then intermittently until 2003, regularly since then. Nests are destroyed when found and I was told some were trapped. I believe that if they weren't constantly being removed there would by now be a thriving population and that therefore, those that do persist in spite of efforts to control them, have made the ten-year self-sustaining rule. Perhaps now old news, but I believe there was a population at Tennant Creek, NT.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136

Tania Ireton asked:
Does anyone know where some tickable Barbary Doves are hiding out?  There
must obviously be viable self-sustaining populations out there somewhere.