birding-aus

RFI Barbary Dove

To: Dave Torr <>, Chris Sanderson <>
Subject: RFI Barbary Dove
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 17:28:10 -0800 (PST)
Looks like I again stirred some trouble with my provocative comments!
No, I wasn't trying to make a point about feral populations (E Greenfinches, E
Goldfinches, House Sparrows, C Mynas, E Starlings are relocated wild-type birds
and therefore a different story).

However, my point was that both Barbary Dove and Feral Pigeons are "human-made"
mutations of birds that occur elsewhere in the wild. Of course, they are
mutations - and thus still the same species. Would you guys "tick" a Chihuahua,
a Pomeraninan or a Golden Retriever as a Wolf Canis lupus? Except that there
are no feral Chihuahua populations - but there are Dingos!!! (another
historical man-made mutation!!!) - this is a similar situation as the Barbary
Dove.

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW