birding-aus

Definite Lewin's Rail - Mt St Joseph, Altona, Vic

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>
Subject: Definite Lewin's Rail - Mt St Joseph, Altona, Vic
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:52:51 +1100
About ten or eleven of us there this morning from about 5:45am onwards. Ruth
and I arrived at about 6:10am. Visibility was poor due to fog – we couldn’t
see the mudflat directly opposite the platform clearly and the mudflat to
the right of the platform was entirely obscured.

The Lewin’s made a fleeting appearance at about 6:15am – emerging from the
reeds and scurrying to the left (from our point-of-view). The view was too
fleeting to “tick” the bird (for those of us that haven’t seen one before).

For the next 45 minutes or so the fog appeared to get thicker. The Lewin’s
made another appearance at about 7:15am –almost exactly the same as an hour
previously. Once again, too brief a view for me to “tick” it.

Peter Shute went to the northern platform after the second appearance and
was able to see the bird on and off for about a minute in the reeds. I’m
sure that he will post if there’s anything additional to mention.

At least four Spotless Crakes, two Black-fronted Dotterels and about four
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers were also seen. Numerous Little Grassbirds,
Golden-headed Cisticolas and Clamourous Reed-warblers also appeared as well
as a Swamp Harrier and a Black-shouldered Kite.

Paul Dodd and Ruth Woodrow

Docklands, Melbourne