birding-aus

Swag or tent

To: <>, <>
Subject: Swag or tent
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:30:54 +1100
I've never used a swag. They look convenient but I'd worry about being run over
while asleep. They also give you nowhere to get dressed in privacy, so it
depends where you are.

I saw people using them in central Australia. We heard horses wandering around
our tent during the night, and next morning noticed that the swag people were
now sleeping on the picnic tables for fear of being trodden on. Possibly
groundless fears, but if they stop you sleeping ...

You can get tiny dome tents with less poles, and tunnel tents, but it's the
pegs I hate. If you don't mind the pegs you could try an A frame tent - less
poles and more pegs.  I like a tent that's spider/scorpion/centipede/snake
proof.

The swags I've seen look quite heavy but I think they included a sort of
mattress.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry