birding-aus

Long Reef/Warriewood Day trip - nothing to report

To: "Evan Beaver" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Long Reef/Warriewood Day trip - nothing to report
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:38:24 +1100

From: "Evan Beaver" <>

Hi Evan,

Pied Oystercatcher is a rare bird on the Northern Beaches, I have only seen
it twice there, both times on Narrabeen Lagoon.

There was a female Little Bittern at the settlement ponds in late Oct. I
never saw it again and assume it moved on to East Lakes Golf Course where a
female was seen by David Mitford a week later.

Brush Bronzewings are best seen on Deep Creek which flows into the north side of Narrabeen Lagoon. Park at the dog training area, cross the wooden foot bridge and follow the track about 200 meters upstream to a pipe bridge, cross it and take the major track south, they often feed along the 200 meter south leg of this track.

Good luck, Bruce cox.

Good Morning Birders,

Spent yesterday poking around Long Reef and Warriewood wetlands
yesterday, 2 areas I've been meaning to check out but had never really
had a chance. I was also on the lookout for a Pied Oystercatcher or a
Brush Bronzewing but found neither, not that I was worried.

We walked right out to the end of the reef and had excellent views of
Great and Pied Cormorants, Sooty OC's, Crested Terns and Silver Gulls.
Something small and grey, Dotterellish looking, scooted off in front
of us before I could get the bins onto it. It was about this time I
remembered that the Pied likes sand and the Sooty likes rocks, not the
other way around. Woops. It soon got too hot so we moved to the
wetland.

Walked around the loop through the boardwalks, hoping for a Bittern or
similar, but only finding a lot of young Swamp Hens and Moorhens.
Sacred Kingfishers were calling noisily and a few young 'uns were
seen, identified by their much duller plumage, and the fact that their
parents kept giving them food, and they were sitting infront of a
Kingfisher nest. Grey Fantails were friendly as ever, Whipbirds
called, Bulbuls frolicked and a lone Golden Whistler whistled.

I didn't think much of the area for it's aesthetic value to be honest.
Everywhere that I looked was covered in some exotic weed or other, and
the local Landcare group realy have their work cut out for them. That
said though, there's some stunning habitat there for the wetter birds,
Bitterns etc, and Red Belly Black snakes, which I'm sure the locals
love. I'll drop back in if I'm in the area, but i'll be earlier in the
morning this time. Otherwise it was little more than a nice day's
walking.

EB

--
Evan Beaver