birding-aus

Canada Goose question

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Canada Goose question
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:03:04 +1100
>From time to time in London's Regents Park in the 1980s, a removalist's van
>could be seen at dawn with the tailboard down and a trail of grain leading to
>the interior.

As a result Canada Geese were humanely removed.

I don't think there is a policy for dealing with this species in Australia so I
hope "someone" will soon get the relevant authorities to determine a policy, if
necessary with a media campaign.  Direct action could deal with the current
birds, but the problem is likely to recur.

The Queensland Department of Natural Resources led the way in trying to deal
with the red-eared slider turtle. (Well done, Scott)

But people often resists control measures relating to cute, cuddly and
feathered creatures, especially when some get gratification from feeding them.

Delay can only build up public resistance, as documented in a June 2006 report
"Guidelines on Avoidance of Introductions of Non-native Waterbird Species"
written for the signatories to the Agreement on the Conservation of
African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbirds (AEWA).

It puts the Canada Goose in the top four threats. See:
http://www.unep-aewa.org/publications/technical_series/ts12_guidelines_non-native-species_complete.pdf

Michael Norris