birding-aus

Publishing conventions re-bird names

To: "Neil Cheshire" <>
Subject: Publishing conventions re-bird names
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:24:11 +1100
The reference I quoted earlier (
http://www.worldbirdnames.org/rules-caps.html) specifically makes the point
that they are treating birds as a "special case" and that other animals
normally have lower case names. I am not sufficiently across other
publications to know whether this is true or not, but surely confusing
statements such as the one you have made could be just as easily applied to
some other animals - in which case one wonders how authors overcome the
problem?