birding-aus

Wood Sandpiper, Fullers Oval, Brisbane

To: <>
Subject: Wood Sandpiper, Fullers Oval, Brisbane
From: Daniel Mantle <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:40:32 +0000
Whilst visiting a few of the local wader spots with my Dad and brother
(visiting from Ireland) we found a Wood Sandpiper at Fullers Oval, Sandy Camp
Road, Lytton (Brisbane). Whilst not a great rarity, it isn't a bad bird for
Brisbane so I thought a few locals may be interested. Also in the area were 3
Glossy Ibis, 1 Wandering Whistling Duck, 2 Pink-eared Duck and the usual Magpie
Geese and Marsh Sandpipers that are nearly always present here. The Manly Wader
Roost had good numbers of the usual winter waders with highlights for my Dad
and brother being great views of Terek Sandpiper, Great Knot, and Red-necked
Stints.

I have never had anyone ask about me birding on Fullers Oval before but today I
had a good chat with Wayne Plant (the Operations Manager from Iona College whom
own the playing fields and maybe the marshes). He was mildly interested in what
we had seen and talked about regenerating some of the bushland in the area but
he asked if I was going to birdwatch in the area can I (or other birders) give
him a call before visiting in future. His number is 07 3893 8888.
Cheers Dan