birding-aus

Rarities Committees (long)

To: "'Keith Weekes'" <>, "'Nikolas Haass'" <>
Subject: Rarities Committees (long)
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:12:53 +1030
Further to Nikolas' note in which I think he was trying to be as
balanced as possible, I have to agree with him in that my perception of
the BARC committee does seem to have a "clubbiness' about it.
 In addition, and having read a few of the submissions, notably those of
our most esteemed twitcher Mike Carter, they do seem to me to be almost
excessively detailed pursuant to convincing the committee of the
validity of the claims.
This has the effect on me of thinking that even if I was certain of an
ID I'm not sure I could be bothered submitting a claim. It's just too
much of a chore. I'm prepared to go along with IDs determined by myself
and other birding associates without going through the difficult
ratification process of BARC just to get the bird on the 'official' Oz
list. Is the 'official" list that important anyway? Who to?
And then there are the delays which plague the BARC system.  To me these
seem to be of two types - one is that some people take a very long time,
sometimes years,  to put their submissions in, and the other is the time
it can take for the committee to consider a claim and give a
determination. As Nikolas suggests, this may be influenced by a
claimant's past reputation and /or club membership which isn't
necessarily a sound basis for decision making.
As for submitting corpses -- not sure I'm too keen about that approach
Nikolas, someone is bound to ask whether the bird was alive or not when
first seen, and we all know that dead-uns are not acceptable.  Don't we
?

Tony.