birding-aus

Rarities Committees (long)

To: michael norris <>, Hugo Phillipps <>, <>
Subject: Rarities Committees (long)
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:50:53 +1100
Michael,
Having been some one that has dealt with records of threatened species (and the
implications these records can have) I agree whole heartedly agree with your
sentiments below.
However, the rarities that BARC is assessing are unlikely to have any impacts
on any threatened species within Australia (apart from some species that may
become established such as Spotted Whistling-duck and potentially some species
on Christmas Island). Most of the species dealt with are extreme vagrants that
will not even be considered in a threatened species assessment (for example if
something was to happen at Burren Junction, the Grey-headed Lapwing would not
be considered for a second, though something like Superb Parrot or Bush
Stone-curlew which may not have been recorded but has potential habitat present
would be).
I agree with John Leonard's comments (I had read the "important" job that was
being done but had decided to bide my time). Correct record keeping is
important and this equally so of species that BARC has no involvement with (ie
listed threatened species). The official Australian list is an interesting
thing to aim for for twitchers, but in the overall picture of things it would
be far better to be concerned about factors that may affect a Green Sandpiper
in its normal distribution (impacts on breeding and non-breeding habitat) than
whether there is one, two or three (or even no) records in Australia.
Saying all this I am following this thread with much interest.
Cheers,
Peter> From: > To: ;
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Rarities Committees
(long)> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:20:19 +1100> > Here's my tuppence worth.> > I
welcome discipline at the most senior systems for accepting records of >
rarities. Why? Because it helps more locally too.> > Why does that matter?
Because integrity in recording endangered species is > vital to justifying
claims for special treatment of particular sites.> > I can remember one British
field guide (I think it was a general naturalist > one) which had an example of
a good set of field notes of a rare bird. I > wish more guides included those.>
> Michael Norris> ===============================> www.birding-aus.org>
birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, > send the
message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:
Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org