birding-aus

Birding around Melbourne

To: "Brendan McGarry" <>, <>
Subject: Birding around Melbourne
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:05:43 +1100
Sorry, I don't know many sites that side of town.  On the other side of
town, Truganina Swamp in Altona is 5 minutes walk from Westona station,
if you can get yourself to a railway station from there.  Not a short
trip from Doncaster, so getting there early might be a problem.  Colin
Clark's report from 2 years ago will give a good idea of what's there:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2005-12/ms
g00216.html

You should expect to see between 30 and 50 species in 2 hours there.

You can walk through the swamp down to the bay in about half an hour (if
you aren't dawdling looking at things) where you could see a few more
species.  There's a high tide roost at the mouth of Laverton Ck, on the
west side, that can be interesting.

I keep seeing Banyule Flats mentioned in the list, but I haven't been
there.  It and others are described at
http://www.melboca.org.au/birdingsites.

Did you get any other responses?  If so, I'd be interested to hear what
was suggested.  People tend to mention only the *best* places to go, not
the best places that can be reached without a car.  It's a very
different thing, and would make a good book or website.

Peter Shute