birding-aus

Eurasian Curlew at 80 Mile Beach

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Eurasian Curlew at 80 Mile Beach
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:35:08 +1100
The weekend twitch for the Eurasian Curlew at 80 Mile Beach was successful due to good information, well planned logistics and just good luck. Some pictures are posted at
http://www.pbase.com/tony_palliser/eurasian_curlew

The 2 million Oriental Pratincoles have not yet arrived so we didn't see any. But we did see over 20,000 of the 400,000 other waders and numerous terns that inhabit the beach. We only covered perhaps a 25 km stretch. Other highlights included a Beach Stone Curlew and an Asian Dowitcher.

Anyone contemplating the twitch MUST do so through Broome birders such as George Swann of Kimberley Watching, Chris Hassell or Adrian Boyle. Access is via private land, you could disrupt studies and there is the danger of getting lost or bogged. Finding the bird is very tide dependant, both height and time, but could be done in one day Broome to Broome if conditions are right (3 hours each way plus birding time).

And now there is the additional draw of a Red-throated Pipit in the middle of Broome!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136