birding-aus

slide scanners and/or services

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: slide scanners and/or services
From: peter crow <>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:02:50 +1000
One method of "scannning" slides which is cheap and seems to work is to photograph the slides with a digital camera.

I was told by a fellow and in Herberton (NQ), who runs a camera museum that this works well.

He showed me a holder he made form a piece of plastic drain pipe which fits over the lens of his camera (A kodak from memory). He has devised a few bits and pieces which hold the slide over the open end, points the camera at the clear blue sky to give even light and click.

The tube needs to be long enough to enable the camera to focus. His was about nine cm as far as I can remember.

He demonstrated to me by simply holding the transparency in place. The result on the camera's small viewing screen seemed very good. On his computer screen is was also pretty good. This may be a cheap way of digitising slides for those not willing to outlay a fortune.

Peter