birding-aus

5. sacred kingfisher morningside brisbane (Natalia Atkins)

Subject: 5. sacred kingfisher morningside brisbane (Natalia Atkins)
From: "Natalia Atkins" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:45:49 +1000
Just as an update, we saw two Sacred Kingfishers today in the same spot; it
looked like a breeding pair. The male was feeding a large insect to the
female, as seems to be part of the courting behavior of many birds around
this region,  just prior to the female sitting on her eggs.

They are incredible little birds; very beautiful. The male (the one feeding
the insect to the other) had more of the rufous red on his breast, and his
beak looked larger. I also heard him make a new call, more like an `alarm'
call than the scolding we heard yesterday.

There are a few termite nests in trees nearby, and I hope to find their nest
during the breeding season.

Cheers!