birding-aus

Tassie Pulp Mill

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>, "'Ben Allen'" <>
Subject: Tassie Pulp Mill
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:16:20 +1000
Hi Ben,

I also agree with David that the establishment and harvesting of tree
plantations on cleared farmland is preferable to the loss of existing
forests.

My concern about Ben's suggestion of harvesting old-growth native forest
over cycles in excess of 100 years is that clearing of some forest areas in
South-west WA in the 1960s/70s resulted in the spread of Phytophthora and
subsequent dieback of extensive areas of Jarrah and Karri forest. I realise
that heavy machinery used in mining and transporting bauxite ore (rather
than logging) was largely responsible for spreading the fungus, but heavy
machinery is also involved in logging and transporting timber these days.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW