birding-aus

Blog for Tahiti - French Polynesia trip

Subject: Blog for Tahiti - French Polynesia trip
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:24:01 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
I have put up my blog recently to document 10 day trip
to Tahiti last month which I enjoyed greatly, even
though this is more of a sampling of a few flagship
birds in the territory and not a purely birdwatching
trip.

http://lazybirder.blogspot.com/

I was first inspired by Michael Hunter's Polynesian
report to this group almost two years ago. My birdlist
is far from that but this is what I could achieve
within my limited timeframe and budget. However, I am
still happy with many photos taken of my main targeted
birds.

Something may be of interests to readers in this
region are:-
1) We found a very attractive environmental friendly
shopping bag sold in Carrefour Supermarche featuring a
stunning endangered parrot - Rimatara Lorikeet (photos
available in the blog). Wonder if this idea can be
used in other countries to showcase that it is cool to
carry a shopping bag portraying the native birdlife.

2) Create awareness and sustainable economic benefits
(I hope) to the locals who own or manage the habitat
where the targeted birds live.

3) Some seabirds seen on atoll which are otherwise
uncommon in this region.

4) RFI on nesting behaviour of Ground-dove of genus
Gallicolumba. A native guardian of the bird's habitat,
who is supportive of the bird conservation, is trying
to look for the Polynesian Ground-dove's nest or know
more of the bird's nesting behaviour. Still little
known, the Polynesian Ground-dove's nest has never
been discovered despite the islet where it is found is
smaller than a football field. If you are familiar of
nesting behaviour of ground-doves in Oriental or
Australasian regions, you may write to me personally.
Thanks.

It is a plethora of photos. Take your time to go
through.

Regards,

Tun Pin ONG
Sydney