birding-aus

Rufous Owl in South West WA

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'David Stowe'" <>
Subject: Rufous Owl in South West WA
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:51:52 +1000
I have to agree with David here. I think it's a big call to suggest that
someone has confused an Owl with a Goshawk. From Amy's description of the
observation in her email she had a good look. Also she says that quite a
number of people also saw the bird and you'd have thought that at least one
person in even a relatively small group could pick an Owl from a raptor. The
fact that Frogmouths are mistaken for Owls is a bit different - there is at
least a similarity in appearance and behaviour (both being predominantly
nocturnal, for instance).

Paul