birding-aus

Gerygone calls in Lapstone, Blue Mtns

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Gerygone calls in Lapstone, Blue Mtns
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:19:36 +1000
Birders,

One of the pleasures of my working life is standing at the train
station in the morning listening to the bird calls to see what's
about. 10 days ago the first Noisy Friar arrived, announcing my
official start to Spring. They come back to the same tree every year.

This morning I heard the familiar 'falling leaf' call of the gerygone.
I listened carefully for probably 5 minutes and not once did the call
'continue' as for a White Throat; every time it was the more truncated
Western gery call. An esteemed contemporary considers this an unlikely
ID; much more likely a White Throat trying to trick me. Any opinions
on this? I'd better start taking bins to work in the mornings.

Also this morning I heard what I think was my first Whipbird for
Lapstone. I don't recall every recording them previously, but I can't
check till I get home. If I'm right, that bumps my area list up to
about 115. Pretty solid for what is essentially suburbia.

Evan

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW