birding-aus

Queensland Visit Timing Advice

Subject: Queensland Visit Timing Advice
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:56:27 EDT
Hello,

I'm an American birder and I'm planning my fourth birding trip to  Australia.
 I plan to visit Queensland in September/October of 2008, and I  need to book
my plane ticket soon.

My original thought was to fly into Brisbane in the first week of  September,
hire a car, hit some SE QLD birding spots for a couple of weeks, then  drive
up to NE QLD and spend a couple of weeks up there, flying home from Cairns  in
about mid-October.

Now I am wondering if it would make more sense (from both a birding point  of
view and a weather point of view) to start the trip in Cairns in early
September (or later?) and finish it in Brisbane in mid-October.  My  biggest
question/concern about this approach is - when do the Asian waders and
migrants get
to the Cairns area?  If I am there about the 7th to 10th of  September, is
that too early?  The books all say September, and I know it  isn't an exact
science, but any advice would be appreciated on just when in  September is late
enough to be pretty sure of seeing the waders and migrants in  Cairns.

Also, which is better for SE QLD - mid-September or mid-October?  Or,  does
it make any difference?

Are there any other factors I should be taking into consideration?  Is  there
a better time window for my trip?  I could move it a week or two in  either
direction, as long as I do it now.

Thanks for any advice.

Barry Brugman
USA