birding-aus

RFI: NW Victoria Mallee

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: RFI: NW Victoria Mallee
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:48:58 +1000
Hi Paul, Tim and all,
Just a word of warning. Tim is right in saying that most of these tracks are OK in 2WD, but its still quite possible to get stuck in the sand, I know, I've done it. For example when you first enter Honeymoon Hut track from Meridian road ( in the southern section of Murray-Sunset NP), there is almost immediately a loose sandy section. If you stopped in it you'd be stuck, but as long as you go through at a reasonable pace you'll be fine. If you did happen to get really bogged in the sand, try letting your tyres down until they look very low on air(almost flat) and you'll almost certainly just drive out. As long as you are not bogged up to your axles that is.! As reported to Birdline Vic I chanced on some Black-eared Miners along there this week. First 2 seen, 3.5kms along Honeymoon track from Meridian road, and later on some more at 4kms. They all flew off to the south when disturbed. From the views I had they looked like pretty pure-bred ones to me. I spent many hours looking for Red-lored Whistler but had no luck with them ( its not the first time either). They must be at very low densities in there, and maybe I'm unlucky. Did see Black-eared Cuckoo, Gilberts Whistler, Chestnut Quail-thrush and Striped Honeyeater though. If you don't have any luck with the Grasswrens or Emu-wrens at Nowingi, it's well worth giving Pink Lakes a try. There's some good areas of spinifex under mallee along Pioneer drive. I seem to have the best luck where there is very mature spinifex under a good canopy of mallee. Its a good area for Pink cockatoos also, and the wildflowers are going off in there at the moment.
Good luck.
Simon Starr,
Pyramid Hill,
Vic.