birding-aus

Pelagic trip off PORT FAIRY, VIC, 26 August 2007

Subject: Pelagic trip off PORT FAIRY, VIC, 26 August 2007
From: "R Clarke" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:27:22 +1000
Hi All,
Here is the trip report for the pelagic trip that got our off PORT FAIRY,
VIC on Sunday 26 August 2007

This was an extra trip organised by Malcolm Brown. We used a different
vessel (Port Fairy Charters) as the skipper on the usual vessel remains ill.

OBSERVERS: Malcolm (organiser) and Judy Brown, Kate Stevens, Jeff and Jill
Yugovic, George Appleby, Mark Antos, Glen Jameson, Neil and Luke Shelly,
James Fitzsimons, Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow, Rob Berry, Gail D?Alton & Rohan
Clarke (report compiler).

WEATHER: Conditions were overcast in the early am clearing to high hazy
cloud in the mid-morning and remaining that way for the remainder of the
day. Mild. A 5-10 knot easterly as we headed out increased to 15 knots
offshore then moderating slightly through midday and gradually swinging
around to the north-west in the afternoon. The upshot of this was there was
no spray at all as we had a following breeze at all times when travelling.

SEA: Relatively calm throughout the day with a 1-1.5 m (occasionally to 3 m)
well-spaced swell with a slight 0.5-1 m chop. These were near perfect
conditions for a pelagic trip; light following winds with enough breeze to
keep the birds in the air and a small sea. Despite this at least four were
seasick.

ACTIVITY: Sailed at ~0710 EST. Headed directly to the shelf break without
any stops. Reasonable numbers of birds (mostly small albatross) in inshore
waters. We crossed the shelf break (100 fathoms) at around 0935.  We stopped
and berleyed with shark liver at three locations, first over 230 fathoms at
38º48? 89?S 141º52?60?E, then over 200-300 fathoms at 38º49?86?S 141º46?93?E
and then back over 100 fathoms at 38º47?24?S 141º44?37?E. Initially few
birds were present but numbers built rapidly so that by the time we were
ready to depart each stop a hundred or more birds where in view. Headed back
in at ~1320 travelling via Lady Julia Percy Island where we cruised the
western and northern shores before making the final run up to Port Fairy.
Docked at 1645.

MAMMALS:
Common Dolphin: 10 or so animals from a dispersed pod of ~50 joined the boat
on the way out when we were over 72 fathoms of water.

4 Australian Fur Seals at sea in inshore and offshore waters. Thousands on
Lady Julia Percy Island.

BIRDS: 21 species (C&B taxonomy) (24 taxa including 9 albatross taxa) beyond
the river mouth indicated average diversity. Highlights were good views of
Northern and Southern Royal Albatross, an adult Buller?s Albatross and
relatively high numbers of Hutton?s Shearwaters. The complete absence of
storm-petrels was a surprise.

Great-winged Petrel: 30 (20). All nominate race. All pelagic.

Cape Petrel 3 (2). All nominate race. All pelagic.

Common Diving-Petrel: 4 (1). Two in inshore waters in the am and 2 in
inshore waters in the pm.

Fairy Prion: 500 (300). Most over ~60 fathoms in the pm. Beyond the shelf we
attracted a maximum of 5.

Fluttering Shearwater: 7 (2). All in inshore waters in the am.

Hutton?s Shearwater: 120 (50). 100 in offshore waters, 20 pelagic.

Sooty Shearwater: 6 (2). 1 in offshore waters, 5 pelagic.

Giant-Petrel spp: 2 distantly in the vicinity of LJPI were not identified to
species.

Wandering Albatross [gibsoni]: 1 pelagic at the second and third berley
point.

NORTHERN ROYAL ALBATROSS [sanfordi]: 1 adult in pelagic waters at the second
berley point showed passing interest in our efforts but never alighted.

SOUTHERN ROYAL ALBATROSS [epomophora]: 1 adult in pelagic waters followed us
to each of the three berley points.

Black-browed Albatross [melanophris]: 80 (35). 40 pelagic, 10 offshore, 30
inshore. Mostly adult. ~4 juvs and 3 sub-adult pelagic.

Campbell Island Albatross [impavida]: 2 pelagic. Both near-adult.

Shy Albatross [cauta]: 250 (110). 15 inshore, 12 offshore, remainder
pelagic. 2 juv, 10 sub-adult remainder adult.

SALVIN?S ALBATROSS [salvini]: 1 juv in inshore waters in pm.

Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross [bassi]: 60 (30). 2 offshore, remainder
pelagic. 1 sub-adult, remainder adult.

BULLERS ALBATROSS [bulleri]: 1 adult pelagic at the second and third berley
points.

Australasian Gannet: 200 (100). 3 inshore, 5 pelagic, remainder offshore.

Southern Skua: 5 (1). 2 inshore in am, 2 inshore in pm (all distant) and 1
pelagic. This last bird attended the vessel and chased Great-winged Petrels
and Fairy Prions at the second berley point.
Pacific Gull: 2 adults around the breakwater at Port Fairy.

Silver Gull: 4 at Lady Julia Percy Island.

Kelp Gull: 10 at Lady Julia Percy Island.

Crested Tern: 110 (25). Mostly concentrated around the 20-30 fathom zone
with several flocks of 15+. Also 20 pelagic. None on Lady Julia Percy
Island.

White-fronted Tern: 4 (1). 1 offshore in am, 1 pelagic at second berley
point, 2 at Lady Julia Percy Island.

Black-faced Cormorant: 3 at Lady Julia Percy Island.

On or around Lady Julia Percy Island Sooty Oystercatcher (4), Nankeen
Kestrel (2), Swamp Harrier (2), Starling (4), Skylark (2 heard) and Welcome
Swallow (6) rounded out the list.

Rohan Clarke

Advertisement: Search for local singles online at Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D29892&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Search&_m=EXT