birding-aus

St Helens Pelagics; 29th December 2007: 2008 schedule

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: St Helens Pelagics; 29th December 2007: 2008 schedule
From: Ian May <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:35:24 +0930
g'Day again

Following successful pelagic birding trips from St Helens, Tasmania in 2006, see http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2006-07/msg00519.html <http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2006-07/msg00519.html> , we are planning a succession of day trips searching for the elusive species, visiting bird hot spots including underwater seamounts beyond the continental shelf where flocks congregate to take advantage of food brought to the surface in the upwelling currents. We are targeting the time of year when species diversity and sea conditions will be at their best.

I have struck a good "no profit" deal with the operator for 2008. Cost at $100 each per day for the boat trip, (minimum of 8 passengers) includes burley. The first trip, a pre booked charter, is scheduled during the xmas/new year break; a day trip is planned on Saturday 29th December 2007 and we have several vacancies on this day.

We are also planning regular trips from February until August 2008. The proposed dates of the birding pelagics are;

December   2007.   Saturday 29th:   Confirmed:

February 2008 Saturday 16th: tentative dates only depending on interest

April           2008    Saturday 26th  Confirmed:

May 2008 Thursday 15th, Friday 16th, Saturday 17th; tentative dates only depending on interest.

June            2008    Thursday 19, Friday 20th, Saturday 21st  Confirmed:

July 2008 Thursday 24th (Confirmed), Friday 24th (Confirmed) , Saturday 25th (tentative)

August 2008 Thursday 21st (Confirmed), Friday 22nd (Confirmed), 23 (tentative)

Again we have chartered the 60' starboat, Nifty II, one of the most capable ocean going charter boats in Tasmania, a proven "good sea boat" that has excellent design characteristics including stable ride, raised exhausts (no fumes) and provides good shelter with uninterrupted viewing opportunities for up to 16 passengers. Nifty II is owned and crewed by the respected Rainbird family, highly experienced third generation Tasmanian seafarers. The boat will be available on standby for a full week over the tour periods, so if the weather is bad, we can wait for the next break. The continental shelf is only one hour travelling from the sheltered waters of George Bay and interesting pelagic birds are normally seen for the entire voyage.

Participants need to book with me in advance and arrange their own food, transport and accommodation at St Helens, although we can make these arrangements for you if requested. Also we are pleased to organize trips outside of the scheduled dates if requested.

If travelling from the mainland, it is recommended to arrive at least the day before and to plan your return at least the day after your pelagic trip. The boat departs St Helens or Binalong Bay wharf depending on barway conditions, early each morning and returns after a full day at sea. This flexible time arrangement allows for when a rare bird is sighted late in the day and will avoid rushing home meeting a schedule.

Please note that due to predictably savage "roaring forties" gales that are prevalent in Tasmania from September to December, we do not operate off shore birding tours from St Helens during spring Pelagic bird numbers and species diversity are usually lower at that time of year anyway. The best period is late autumn and winter when sea conditions and sea bird watching here are at their best and also importantly, the Short-tailed Shearwater clutter has departed.

Please contact me if you are interested in any of the above or require any further info.

Regards and good birding

Ian May
St Helens Marine Services
PO Box 110