birding-aus

melbourne help (Phillip Island)

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: melbourne help (Phillip Island)
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 00:48:30 +1000
Hi David, Paul and others interested in Phillip Island birding at the moment,

As David said, Cape Woolamai Surf Club beach (the furthest carpark) is usually a reliable spot for Hooded Plovers, but you won't get any Shearwaters until the end of Sept (about 22nd). These are easily seen at almost any beach access point from late Sept till April, but wait till sunset. The PI Nature Park have built great steps/lookouts at many of the southern beaches. Good ones include Berry's Beach, Forrest Caves and Surf Beach. Drive carefully around sunset as they can go onto roads while finding their nests on the verges. There won't be roped off areas for the birds at this time of the year - just to keep people away from fragile sand cliffs.

Swan Lake almost emptied completely in the drought and hasn't recovered well yet, or when I visited it a couple of weeks ago, but always worth a visit. I saw a Blue-winged Parrot between the two birdhides there last year. A more reliable wetland is Fisher's Wetland on the entrance road to Churchill Island, just after the Information Centre.

The Mouth of the Bass River (accessed via Bass Landing Road - don't be put off when you need to cross a grid) about 1km s of the township of Bass on the way to PI can be a reliable place for Blue-winged Parrots among the saltbush, etc. Keep an eye open for Orange-bellied Parots there too. I haven't seen them yet, but the habitat looks right.

If you want to look for waders etc, the mouth of Rhyll Inlet along McIllraith Road is good, but you'll need good binoculars, or even better a scope. High tide is the best time - about 1hr after Port Phillip Heads.

The best place for bush birds is Oswin Roberts Reserve in Harbison Road, or the Koala Conservation Centre, where you can also get good viewing of koalas.

If you contact me off line I am happy to give further information.
Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island
Victoria