birding-aus

Terns

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Terns
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:18:18 +1000
When Duncan sent me the first photos of these terns taken at Marlay Point, Lake Wellington, near Sale, Victoria, on 12th August 07, see http://www.natureofgippsland.org/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=38&page=1, I thought the larger bird (apart from the obvious Crested Tern of course) possibly a Common Tern and the smaller an Arctic Tern but wasn't certain. Two other very experienced observers expressed similar opinions and I learned that two terns seen distantly on 25 July at this spot were claimed as Common Tern by another erstwhile reliable observer. Common Terns are common in summer from October to April in the Gippsland Lakes but a winter record would be very unusual. So I had that species very much on my mind. Next day I joined Duncan and his friend Peter at the site. We saw up to six of the smaller terns together, possibly 8 in total, in addition to ~ 50 Crested Terns. The habitat is basically an inland sea, until recent floods a saline lake. The birds disappeared to the lake centre to feed with the Crested Terns. All around were fresh water lagoons, remnants of the recent floods. These were ignored.

I was absolutely flummoxed by them! Totally bewildered! Must be past it! Duncan demanded an ID because anticipating my visit, he'd promised to advise the public on his web site. But I couldn't provide it!

All the birds I saw had wholly black bills and bright red legs, more orange in a juvenile. In spite of numerous differences, there was sufficient consistency for me to believe that just one species was present! Some adults had dark blotches on underparts (remnants I mistakenly thought of breeding plumage of longipennis Common Tern or Arctic Tern). Features in favour of Common Tern included leg length and grey rump and tail. Features in favour of Arctic were tonsured head pattern of some and that no birds had the black wedge on the outer upper wing formed by old outer primaries expected in Common Tern at this season. Underwing pattern was somewhat ambivalent but more inclined to suggest Common than Arctic.

The juvenile was particularly perplexing. I had not previously seen as young a bird at this time in Australia! It was beyond contemplation that a juvenile could have arrived so early in Australia having flown from the northern hemisphere. But it did provide one answer. I could rule out Arctic Tern because in juveniles of that species the secondaries are unmarked wholly white. In this bird each feather had a dark centre. But neither were they Common Terns! So I called for help and emailed Chris Corben and Danny Rogers. Both responded immediately politely hiding their disdain but really saying you stupid old fool, they're WHISKERED TERNS. With the blinkers now off, it was all perfectly clear. Well almost. Whiskered Terns are very rare but not unknown in winter in Victoria, it was an early date for returning migrants and usually when they do arrive, they are in breeding not non-breeding plumage.

The first of two remaining problems was what was a juvenile doing here in August? Where had it come from? Any bird reared locally, even say a very late breeder born in February should by now be in first winter non-breeding (first basic) plumage. Moult into that plumage is completed within 2-3 months of fledging. So that bird was less than 3 months old, probably two months or less. So I surmised that it had been bred in northern Australia or perhaps Indonesia. Checking HANZAB I read that all breeding records were south of 25 degrees S in spring/summer (but now can't find those words!). However, since HANZAB was written there has been a breeding event on Anna Plains near the Sandfire Roadhouse in northern WA in autumn. This has led to speculation that some individuals may breed twice in one year, once in the south then again in the north! This would be in accordance with its normal behaviour of opportunistic breeding and its apparently inexplicable erratic moult sequences.

The other problem was the apparent size difference between the first two birds. Some say that is illusion but I think it's real. The larger bird is also darker. Could the larger, darker bird be of the northern hemisphere subspecies Chlidonias hybridus hybridus and the smaller paler individual C. h. javanicus, the normal Australian subspecies? These are the characters that separate these races. The northern form is known to reach the Greater Sundas so why not Australia?

Jeff Davies also took many photographs at this site on Sunday 19th August and also saw one Little Tern in non-breeding plumage. Again an early date I would think. Next day Duncan had several Little Terns there. At first glance I'd suggest they're Asian birds rather than Australian breeders.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136