birding-aus

resource for overseas and beginning birders

To: "'Greg'" <>
Subject: resource for overseas and beginning birders
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:19:45 +1000
Hi Greg,

As Dave says, Chiltern puts out a good brochure too.

I think that the local brochures and local contact at information centres
are absolutely essential. However, in most cases you need to go to the
location to pick up a brochure. In my mind I had thought that if there was
some way to gather all that information into one location (be it a book or a
database) it would be beneficial. Oftentimes Ruth and I chat about where we
should go in upcoming weekends - generally we choose a *region* because
we've heard something about it - for example, the Chiltern area because we'd
read about it in Sean Dooley's book; and Mildura and Hattah-Kulkyne because
a colleague of Ruth's mentioned it. It's not much good turning up in Mildura
and hoping to see birds, though! What we find we need is a list of sites
within a region that are "good" spots for birding - preferably with
potential species that can be encountered there. In recent times I tend to
get that information by posting a request on birding-aus and then collating
the various responses.

I guess that I'm just trying to systemise the process and organise the data
- a side-effect of working in the computer software and database business!

Paul