birding-aus

Visiting Brisbane for Birding, and USA help

To: "Jennifer Rycenga" <>, "australia birding" <>
Subject: Visiting Brisbane for Birding, and USA help
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:20:59 +0100
Hi Jennifer,

We were in the same enviable situation as yourselves last year - every bird is
a new one - fantastic!

There is loads of information about Brisbane birding spots - try
http://birdsqueensland.org.au/bq-gazetteer-seq.html and
http://birdsqueensland.org.au/bq-gazetteer-oth.html

on the Birds Queensland site - though I am finding this site a bit
temperamental at present.

There is really too much to choose from here - our favourite was definitely the
Mount Glorious area where we saw an excellent selection of doves, parrots and
bowerbirds. The little cafe nearby had good birds too - Wonga Pigeons waddling
around. And the Walkabout Creek Wildlife Centre run by the Queensland Parks
dept, which is on the way to Mt Glorious, gives you amazing close up views of
some of the birds in a walk through aviary as well a chance to see platypus and
other things. Other sites recommended to us were JC Slaughter Falls and
Sherwood Arboretum, and Manly for shorebirds. However I expect you will gets of
other recommendations from locals who obviously know far more than we do!

We wrote a trip report which you may find of some interest at:

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/australia/e-australia-07/eastern-aus-2006.htm

Have a good time

Rosemary Royle, Wales , UK