birding-aus

Storms affect on birds on the Central Coast

To: <>
Subject: Storms affect on birds on the Central Coast
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:14:08 +1000
Hi Birders,

The Central Coast has suffered badly from storms over the past two weekends with up to 400 ml of rain the first weekend and another 400 ml again this weekend. Som emany trees have come down. Here at Bateau Bay, we have had only 200 ml and 250 ml respectively - 26 inches of rain in two weeks - our annual average is 48 inches. Two weeks ago we were in class 5 water restrictions!

From the Swift Parrot point of view, the main inpact has been for the wind
and rain to put an end to all the Swamp Mahogany flowering and possibly washed so much of the nectar out of the Foprest Red Gums, that there is little food for Swifties. A tour around the sites found no Swift Parrots today although Musk, Rainbow and Little Lorikeets were still present. They could have all gone to Port Macquarie and Crescent Head where they have been reported at quite an number of sites up there primarly in Forest Red Gum!

Alan Morris