birding-aus

Grass Owls etc near Brisbane airport

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Grass Owls etc near Brisbane airport
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:53:06 +1000
Peter Mash posted on b-aus a few days ago that he had seen Grass Owl between the Gateway Motorway and the Brisbane Airport. This area is known as Kedron Brook Wetlands and as Peter suggested is controlled by Brisbane City Council. It is currently being almost wiped out by roadworks associated with the Airport and a duplication of the Gateway Motorway. Unfortunately environmental issues ran a poor second to the perceived need for 'vital infrastructure development'.

This is a great area for birds and I often ride my bike through the area on the bikeway which mainly follows the watercourse. Yesterday before this very cold windy weather set in fully I saw a good array of species during about 30 minutes riding thought the area. While I was to early for Grass Owl, my list while riding at around 25 kph included: Brown Quail, Australian Wood Duck, Darter, Little Pied Cormorant, Pied Cormorant, Little Black Cormorant, Little Egret, White-faced Heron, Great Egret, Australian White Ibis, Black-shouldered Kite, Brahminy Kite, Swamp Harrier (being harassed by White-breasted Woodswallows), Brown Falcon, Buff-banded Rail, Masked Lapwing, Caspian Tern, Gull-billed Tern, Crested Tern, Rock Dove, Crested Pigeon, Bar-shouldered Dove, Galah, Rainbow Lorikeet, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Rainbow Bee-eater, Red-backed Fairy -wren, Striated Pardalote, Mangrove Gerygone, Noisy Miner, Mangrove Honeyeater, Magpie Lark, Grey Fantail, Willie Wagtail, Spangled Drongo, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, Pied Butcherbird, Australian Magpie, Torresian Crow, Australian (formerly Richard's) Pipit, Welcome Swallow and Tawny Grassbird. I did not wish to see several hundred Common Miners close to Toombul Shopping Town.

Cheers

Roy Sonnenburg
Birding Services Brisbane