birding-aus

Black Grasswren & Red-legged Crake trip

To: "'L&L Knight'" <>, "'Carl Billingham'" <>
Subject: Black Grasswren & Red-legged Crake trip
From: "John Penhallurick" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:17:13 +1000
Dear Carl,
I saw the Black Grasswren near Mt Elizabeth station in 1986.  You need to
start along the Backsten Gorge trail, the key for which can be obtained at
Mt Elizabeth Station.  You would need a 4WD for the whole track, but I
managed to see a pair at the first jump-up.  There is a rocky creek just
before you get to the jump-up.  From memory, I think you could get through
in a standard 2WD to this point, and you could walk the rest of the way.
Alternatively, if you contact the owners of My Elizabeth station, I think
that for a reasonable amount they would be willing to drive you to the
jump-up.  I saw a pair near the top of the jump-up in September, and they
were very responsive to tape at this time.
Good Luck,
John