birding-aus

Flame Robin question

To: "David Reid, President Bushwalking Victoria" <>
Subject: Flame Robin question
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:56:11 +1000
As a number have commented, there is some debate about whether Flame Robins migrate across Bass Strait or not. Some books report that they do, while others say "there is no firm evidence". Certainly here in Tassie, they seem to 'disappear' from favoured summer haunts when the cooler months arrive. However, we have happened upon large groups of Flame Robins (especially males) during winter, as well. Perhaps they just move around within Tassie for the winter (as the Scarlets certainly seem to do), or perhaps some leave us for warmer climes (though why anyone would want to leave Tassie, I'm not sure), while others remain behind. Certainly at least some overwinter in Tasmania. Maybe a worthwhile banding study for someone??

John Tongue
Ulverstone,
Tasmania