birding-aus

Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane again
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:10:34 +1000 (EST)
Everyone,

I've bred finches for 10 years now and butcherbirds
are my biggest headache.
At my old setup I lost various birds to Grey
Butcherbirds with one occasion where the finch was
removed from the cage, on other occasions only the
head made it out.
The Grey Butcherbirds only attacked the finches housed
in breeding cabinets. My outside aviaries were only
attacked by Pied Butcherbirds. Whilst feeding the
birds one day several Pieds swooped down onto the wire
and made a very impressive display of aggression until
I fought back. The main aim of the butchers is to
cause panic and confusion hoping a finch will land on
the wire.
I've never had any problems with magpies or currawongs
but do know of one instance where a Pied Currawong
took a canary.

Grant Brosie
Raworth

How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in
Australia?  Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/aunz/lifestyle/answers/y7ans-babp_reg.html