birding-aus

Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane- Need adviceplease

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane- Need adviceplease
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:53:23 +1000
Natalia, I reconise your predicament as I have been through the same experience.

Feeding King Parrots and Crimson Rosellas was my problem, I realised that the birds were sitting around my house all day waiting to be fed and not going out to forage in their natural way. Also a Black Wallaby was attracted to the seed tray [which was on the ground] and we had the great pleasure of seeing that wallaby produce a baby with head poking out of the pouch, and eventually coming out of the pouch to feed on bits of grass and the prolific amounts of weeds growing around my place. Unfortunately, some weekslater I found 'my' wallaby dead not far from the water source. I know it was the same one because of a marking on its ear. During the 'creamation' that I was forced to do because I didn't want foxes and wild dogs eating her, I had to open the body up to make it burn quicker [you have no idea how long and how much fuel it takes to burn a wallaby body] and inside found the intestines jammed with undigested seeds and other green matter. Since then I have given the parrots once or twice weekly very small feeds well above the height wallabies can reach. I miss seeing them but know they are still around because they eat all my garden plants!!

Val