birding-aus

Re: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane- Needadvice please

To: <>
Subject: Re: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane- Needadvice please
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 17:12:29 +1000
That is amazing, if you don't mind me saying so.

I have lived in Brisbane for 26 years and don't think I have ever seen a Red
Wattlebird closer than the other side of the Great Dividing range around
Warrick - say 200 kilometers south west. Could I ask where abouts you saw
them, exactly, and if you have seen them lately.  I could find only one
record in the Birds Queensland web site sightings records in the last 6
years when I. Reynolds saw one in Logan Reserve and noted "One bird. First
seen on 27 June 05, and on 28th and 30th. Feeding on Banksia intrifolia Only
[other] record known for area about 20-25 years ago at Tamborine Village.

The Birds Queensland database of Queensland records contains no Queensland
records for Red Wattlebird.  While the Atlas contains a number of SEQ
records, it rather contradicts my impressions. Could anyone else tell me the
closest sighting or Red Wattlebirds they have had.

Peaceful Dives are indeed quite common in the bush land around Brisbane (I
hear them more than I see them) but are not really common urban birds. Do
you, by any chance, means the introduced Spotted Dove which is an abundant
bird, every street seems to contain one or a pair sitting on the telephone
or electricity wires - in west Brisbane,  Crested Pigeons seem to outnumber
the Spotted Doves..

In The Gap, where I live, Pied Butcherbirds outnumber the Grey, and we have
significant numbers of Scaly-breasted Lorikeets as well as Rainbow, lots of
Torresian Crows and quite a few Pied Currawongs (these are moving into the
inner city, I notice).

Best regards

Tim Murphy
Webmaster Bird Queensland.