birding-aus

black honeeater alice springs

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: black honeeater alice springs
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:10:50 +0930
I went for a walk yesterday off track a few kilometres north of John Hayes
rockhole(Trephina Gorge entrance) in the Eastern McDonnells.  Halfway up a
spinifex and low Acacia slope what I later worked out was a female black
honeyeater running across the ground in an odd fashion and then as she got
further away she started to fly low from bush to bush.  I waited and she then
flew back in circle(flight reminiscent of a chat), male appeared and they then
sat together on a branch.  Unfortunately I ddin't have time to suss out a
possible nesting event as I was with off track bushwalkers who were powering on
up the hill!

Eremophilia Latrobei and E freelingii flowering in area.  On the way to
Trephina we  had seen a large(long and wide) mulga snake sunning on the road-I
had never seen one before but very distinctive and impressive snake- olive
green wtih black flecks and large triangular head.  We shooed it off the road
from the safety of the car!

Dusky grasswrens easily seen again on Mt Gillen this morning- mywife is walking
it regularly for exercise and this is proving to be a very reliable site.

Gary