birding-aus

Collared Sparrowhawks vs Pied Currawongs

To: Baus Aus <>
Subject: Collared Sparrowhawks vs Pied Currawongs
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:14:52 +1000
Our walk to work this morning Nicole and I noticed that the 2 Pied Currawongs (reported to bird-line on Tuesday) have moved to the area behind the Royal Childrens Hospital in Royal Park (Melb). This has been Collared Sparrowhawk "turf" over the past 18 months (since we first noticed the CSH's) and it soon became apparent that the Pied Currawong's were unwelcome visitors. We watched for about 10 minutes whilst three Collared Sparrowhawks (we had previously only seen 2 CSH's in this spot) chased and were chased one of the Currawongs. Just as we were leaving the second Pied Currawong flew into the gums from a scrubby patch of trees near by.

We've seen the CSH's taking on Magpies in the past, and have wondered if they were defending territory or actively hunting the Magpies. In the case of the Magpies the pursuit was distinctly one sided. The Currawong was harassing the CSH's as much as it was being harassed, so I'm guessing that this is purely territorial. I've had a quick look in Stephen Debus' "Birds of Prey" and can't find any mention of CSH territorial behaviour. HANZAB is apparently similarly unhelpful on this aspect of their behaviour. I was wondering if any one knew of a source that discusses CSH territorial behaviour or could shed some light?

cheers
Paul