birding-aus

Brown Thornbills agitated with the presence of a local bird

To: <>
Subject: Brown Thornbills agitated with the presence of a local bird
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:18:34 +1000
Hi all

A few minutes ago I became aware that my Brown Thornbills [about 15] were
somewhat agitated and obviously concerned about something very nearby.  Two
Eastern Spinebills and a Grey Fantail were also keeping an eye on things
however were not making a noise and may have just been drawn in by the scolding
thornbills.  I live at Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

Whilst grabbing my binoculars I thought that sounds like they are concerned
about an unusual bird in 'their patch'.  However I was very surprised to find
that the bird they were concerned about was a Singing Honeyeater - a bird
species that for about 9 months of the year live on the coast about 250 metres
away and always come into my garden at this time of the year.

I don't know how large a Brown Thornbill's territory is however I would have
thought they would have seen a Singing Honeyeater before and especially at this
time of the year when the thornbills are moving around in flocks of 15 to 20
birds.  Had they confused it with another bird?  Do they know something about
Singing Honeyeaters that I don't know?

Regards
Val Ford
Sorrento, Vic