birding-aus

Channel-Bills in Alice

To: <>
Subject: Channel-Bills in Alice
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:17:27 +1000
> Will be doing some walking on the weekend around Ormiston, so
> I'll be on the
> lookout for Grey Honey Eaters and the Spinifexbird. I noted
> that someone had
> difficulty finding spinifex pigeons up here recently.
>
> A dead cert. (sic) place is on the Ormiston Pound walk.
> Ascend the first
> ridge from the road, top the ridge and walk up a long gully
> towards a saddle
> (providing you're travelling clockwise around the walk, not
> thru the Gorge
> first). A flock of very bold spinifex pigeons lives here, and
> they pose
> willingly for photographs.

Is this correct?  We did something I have been calling "The Pound Walk"
in 1995.  My memory is that we went anticlockwise and finished by coming
through the Gorge.  I would have thought clockwise would mean going
through the Gorge first.  According to
http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/find/pdf/westmcdonnell_ormiston_gorge.p
df there's a shorter walk called The Ghost Gum Walk - do you mean that
one?

I wish I'd been a birder then.  All I remember about the pigeons is that
there were several sizes!  I also wish I'd been wearing good walking
boots - we walked over a long stretch (several kilometres?) of large
round pebbles, about 10cm in diameter, and it was very uncomfortable in
soft soled shoes.

Peter Shute