birding-aus

Channel-Bills in Alice

Subject: Channel-Bills in Alice
From: "Amanda Markham" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:14:39 +0930
Hi all,

Just a quick note to those following the migration of the Channel-Billed Cuckoo. They're still here in Alice Springs. I had one circiling my house about 6.30 this morning. To my memory (which may be faulty), this is the latest I've ever noticed them in town.

Will be doing some walking on the weekend around Ormiston, so I'll be on the lookout for Grey Honey Eaters and the Spinifexbird. I noted that someone had difficulty finding spinifex pigeons up here recently.

A dead cert. (sic) place is on the Ormiston Pound walk. Ascend the first ridge from the road, top the ridge and walk up a long gully towards a saddle (providing you're travelling clockwise around the walk, not thru the Gorge first). A flock of very bold spinifex pigeons lives here, and they pose willingly for photographs.

cheers,

Amanda