birding-aus

politics

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: politics
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:29:42 +1000
I don't see that political tension on Birding-aus is a bad thing, it
simply mirrors the tensions that exist in society, which can't be
ignored or swept away.

Birding-aus represents a group of Australians united by our interest
in birds, bird conservation and the natural world generally, but it is
obvious that there are a range of opinions from those who think that
conservation issues generally can be dealt with under current
political arrangements to those who think conservation issues are a
symptom of a wider unsustainability in western culture which will work
itself out over the next few generations and end (this is being
optimistic) in society wholly different from anything we can imagine
at present. Apart from our specific interest in birds, this is
reflection of society, in which most people find their views are
accommodated in the mainstream parties and a smaller group find they
are not.

(As Birding-aus members will have guessed I find myself nearer to the
'business-as-usual is not the answer' end of the spectrum).

I don't find it unpleasant to read political views, as I haven't
formed my views or maintained them by ignoring what 'the other side'
says. Personally I would love to be convinced by someone that infinite
growth in a finite world is possible, but I have always been held back
by my reverence for the Laws of Thermodynamics.

The only thing I find tedious is sniping, with no information or argument.

--
John Leonard
Canberra