birding-aus

What binocular power?

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: What binocular power?
From: "David Adams" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:04:09 +1000
On 3/28/07, Gregory Little <> wrote:

As regards costs, nobody thinks much of it if you spend thousands of
dollars on a tinny and motor to go fishing or tens of thousands for a
bigger boat. Nobody gets embarrassed by that. But when you tell people
how much the binoculars cost they gasp. Why? Lots of pursuits are
expensive to set up. For a couple of thousand dollars you get a superb
optical instrument, that the kings and Packers cannot get better than,
that "should" last many, many happy years and you will use a couple of
times a week at least for the rest of your days. A good pair of
binoculars, a good field guide, a note book and pen and your set up.
Pretty cheap for your life long passion/obsession.

Good point! I tend to let people try out my binoculars and then let
them ask how much they cost. People who have never used halfway decent
optics are always amazed when they see how much you can see. I've
ended up with good second tier glasses (Pentax) rather than top-shelf
ones (Leica and the like) as, apart from the cost, I'm a bit reluctant
to risk dropping or losing something so expensive. Also, this puts me
in line to get a reasonably decent scope (I'm looking at the Pentax
PF-65EDA I) and tripod.

David Adams

AU: (02) 6493-3250
US: 831 621-4585