birding-aus

What binocular power?

To: "Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: What binocular power?
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:56:06 +1000
Gregory Little wrote on Tuesday, 27 March 2007 4:45 PM:

> I compared 10x42 and 10x32 of a number of models in the shop
> for over an hour in a range of light conditions and did not
> perceive any great inconvenience in light loss by the x32 in
> lower light conditions, at least for bird watching purposes.
> As I am only a little bloke I chose the 10x32 and have not
> been disappointed one bit in three years. I also wear glasses
> and do not have problems with the binoculars. The only time I
> would prefer 8x binoculars is on pelagic trips where the
> constant movement is a problem.

Several people have responded and in some way implied that magnification
is inversely proportional to field of view.  That's basically true, of
course, but some 8x and 10x are wider than others.  Can people tell me
what they consider to be wide enough, preferably in metres per 1000m,
but whatever is written on your binoculars is fine.

Peter Shute