birding-aus

new Pentax binoculars

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: new Pentax binoculars
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:43:41 +1100
Hi Carl,

I'm glad to see I'm not the only Pentax fan out there. My first pair of quality bins were the Pentax DCF MP 8x28 compacts which I still use and they have proved to be fantastic. I've also recently purchased a Pentax PF65 EDa II 65mm spotting scope, with a XW14 fixed eyepiece which gives x26 magnification. The scope is a "new and improved" version of the PF65 reviewed on "Better View Desired" http://www.betterviewdesired.com/11-05/Pentax%2065mm.html and gives very, very nice views. One of the good things about the Pentax scopes is that they are designed around the very highly regarded Pentax 1.25" astronomical eyepieces. This means that the scope can be used with any standard 1.25" astro eyepiece from budget GSO plossl's costing $40 through to high end wide-field EP's like TeleVue Naglers or Pentax XW series at $450+. Even fitted with a top of the line XW EP the PF65 ED II comes in at about $1200 which seems like outstanding value compared with similar ED Kowa's, etc.

cheers
Paul