birding-aus

Brolga - Barmah State Park, Murray River, Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Brolga - Barmah State Park, Murray River, Victoria
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:35:13 +1100
... I find it amazing that Brolga
>has not been reported at Barmah before. The last atlas ( p148) shows
>them all the way down through the Echuca region into SW Victoria and
>across into SE of SA ( Bool Lagoon)......

Hi Martin, Tony and all,

I live close to the Barmah-Millewa Forest and am a frequent visitor but
have never observed Brolga in the forest.

A farmer rang last week with the news that there are six Brolgas in a rice
paddy (possibly the only rice field in the entire region) about 35km to the
west of the forest, just north of Bunnaloo (NSW).

Brolgas are often observed some distance to the south of the B-M forest in
Wallenjoe Swamp (which is presently dry) near Corop.

I understand that Corop is a koori word meaning 'call sound of Brolga'.

Further from Barmah-Millewa, to the south-west, there are frequent
sightings south of Terrick Terrick National Park e.g. near Mitiamo and also
near Dingee, which I understand is a koori word meaning Brolga.

They are sometimes sighted on Murphy SWAMP and Bailleau's (Richardson's)
Lagoon which are near Torrumbarry in Victoria between Bunnaloo and
Terricks. Further west, they are sometimes seen on some of the Kerang area
wetlands, e.g. LAKE Murphy (south of Kerang).

Because of drought and dry wetlands, northern Victoria's brolgas may be
moving from their normal haunts in search of suitable habitat.

I am not surprised by the sighting and have sometimes wondered why Brolga
are not regularly found on the Barmah-Millewa wetlands.

Keith Stockwell