birding-aus

Number of birdwatchers in Australia

To: "michael hunter" <>, "Allan & Hazel Wright" <>, <>
Subject: Number of birdwatchers in Australia
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:20:05 +1100
 wrote on Thursday, 1 March 2007 8:24
PM:

>       Britain's birds, and their territorial, breeding and
> migratory behavior, are far more accessible, observable and
> easy to understand than Australia's. Basic backyard
> birdwatching there is easier; when I was a student in Inner

This is probably the key to it all - availability of birds.  When I was
young people were only just beginning to plant native trees.  All there
was around were the usual ferals and half a dozen obvious native birds.
There were probably more natives, but less obvious and only noticed by
those who were already birders.

It wasn't until I moved somewhere where I could see lots more without
any effort that I decided it was time to find out what they all were.

The planting of native species and the protection of habitats is
probably what's most likely to result in more birds and therefore more
birders.  This is happening already - maybe all we need is more of it.
And perhaps more binoculars and field guides for Christmas presents.

But it'll always be dorky.

Peter Shute