birding-aus

Number of birdwatchers in Australia

Subject: Number of birdwatchers in Australia
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:54:17 +1100
How did I become a birdwatcher? or rather, how did I become an all-round nature-nut? I owe everything to my mother, or an awful lot anyway. She was a science graduate (zoology and geology) and her interest in living things never failed. Dad contributed a lot of lore from a country childhood too. How lucky we were, to be allowed to raise tadpoles in the back veranda, or keep Emperor Gum and other caterpillars on their foodplants in a vase, or collect interesting bones and feathers on the bedroom window-sill. We were encouraged to turn over stones and logs in the bush to see what lived beneath, and to put stone or log back again carefully. The same manoeuvre was carried out on beaches, and in fact marine life was my first love, enjoyed at Sorrento and other beaches - back before squid and abalone were valued for anything but bait! We always watched birds in the suburban backyard and at the birdbath at Sorrento, and one of the best birthday presents ever was "What Bird is That?" When I moved to Ivanhoe 40+ years ago, no more marine life but lots of birds everywhere - Redrumped Parrots on the nature strip and, hooray, Shrike-tits in the big Red Gum down the back. A kind friend said we HAD to join the Bird Observers. This made me feel a lot less isolated - early days walking about solo with binocs could be quite embarrassing, I was frequently shouted at by golfers and (incorrectly) accused of trespassing. I think these days birdwatchers are much more accepted by the general public. About 12 years ago we went on a tag-along 4WD trip to the Top End. It was not really arranged as a nature tour, and a couple of chaps thought I was fair game for teasing about birds. I didn't bite and answered them back cheerfully. By Kakadu they were telling me all about the wonderful Sea-Eagle they'd seen feeding its young at the nest, and describing the beautiful Forest Kingfishers they'd seen while fishing. They had actually been quite interested in natural things all along, but it wasn't an interest they'd admit to strangers.

Anthea Fleming

Tom and Mandy Wilson wrote:

Hi all
I've been following this thread for a while - I've actually found in my work
place that, once my colleagues get over their initial surprise and I hear
all the old jokes again, I am then approached fairly regularly by several
asking about for ID on birds that they have seen. The work force as my
employer is, on the whole, young.
The latent interest is there, even if it is only sparked sporadically.
On a wider point, a lot of the commentary about the growth of birding in the
UK and US has been covered in "A Bird in the Bush" by Stephen Moss, which
(believe it or not) is actually a book about the social history of bird
watching from Gilbert White in Selborne onwards.
Cheers
Tom Wilson